Sunday, January 07, 2007

Snapping Out of It...

Quite unexpectedly, I had a realization. I think I was sitting on the couch in an uncharacteristicly relaxed state and it dawned on me. I was completely without worry or anxiety. What??? How did this happen? I can't even imagine. Then, I started analyzing the situation (which is pretty standard for me) and I realized that I'd had a pretty stress free couple of weeks. It was beautiful. I wondered if this was the "new" me. Then, I think I took a nap.

Now, you might ask, what is the big deal. Well, I'll tell you. I have not been relaxed or worry free for about 2 years now. I have spent the last 21 months dealing with overwhelming worry and anxiety. It was so upsetting and detrimental to my quality of life that I eventually sought help. That was a big step for me, as I tend to try and work things out for myself. But, in a rare moment of clarity, I decided that I probably wasn't going to work this out. Plus, I figured that it wasn't entirely normal to have an hour long panic attack over the laundry. Obviously, something was out of whack.

Anyway, the point is that now I feel like myself again. I took some time to explore my new role as a mom and I learned some new ways of thinking. It was quite a revelation to me that the universe is not actually out to get me. Weird! Plus, I have some new techniques for avoiding panic attacks, which is useful. But, the most amazing thing is that now I rarely have to think about panic and anxiety. I have control again and it's great to be back. I am so glad to finally be snapping out of it...

In future episodes, our heroine explores the events that started it all. Also, why getting on a plane will be a real test of whether or not she's actually cured of her panic episodes...

No comments: