Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Doerrs Go To the Beach - Days 2-7






This was pretty much it. We sat on the beach for a solid week and it was nice. I did learn however, that sitting for a whole week is a little much for me. While it sounds nice to have nothing else to do, it gets a bit tedious just holding down a beach chair. I think my next beach vacation will have to be somewhere near tourist attractions or other diversions. By day three, I have to get dressed and go see something. I'm just a crazy tourist and I MUST go tour something when I'm on vacation! But, it was a great relaxing week and we did actually go see Fort Morgan, which is a military installation that dates back to the 1830s and was used heavily during the Civil War. The fort was used off and on in other wars with it finally being abandoned after WWII. It was great to see it and the views were worth the work of climbing around on the old stairways.






After the tour of Fort Morgan, we took the ferry over to Dauphin Island. It was a beautiful place, but I was very glad that we didn't end up staying there. It seemed to me a place for locals to go to escape all of us tourists. It was extremely quiet and there weren't many restaurants or attractions. I think maybe the major pastime there would have been fishing. Don't get me wrong, I like to fish, but I don't know that the other Doerrs would have really enjoyed it too much (especially since they don't eat the stuff!).

Houses on Dauphin Island

No comments: