Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Five Wonderful Hours

Thanks to some cajoling from my brilliant husband, I enrolled the girlies in a summer preschool program.  Now, every Wednesday, I have five beautiful hours all to myself.  Initially, when B mentioned this idea, I was resistant.  It had something to do with my natural reluctance to agree with him on most topics and then I also thought it was a bit of a waste of money.  After all, didn't I quit my job to stay home and spend time with my girls?  Obviously, it had been a while since I had time to myself and I had forgotten the almost obscene luxury of being able to think only of myself.  Needless to say (but I will anyhow), time alone is worth the cost. 

Now, on Tuesday evenings, I start thinking about what I'm going to do with my time.  Should I call a friend and go to lunch?  Should I spend some time working on my hobbies?  What will I ever do with all the time???  See, when there is actual quiet time, my brain goes crazy.  It's almost like that feeling you get when you have a really big gift certificate to spend.  The sheer number of possibilities is overwhelming.  I often find that I get analysis paralysis since I feel as though anything I decide to do ought to be grand given that Wednesdays don't just happen everyday.

As you can guess, one thing I've decided to do is write a little on this blog.  I am hoping to contribute a little more regularly than I have in the past.  Considering the fact that I can actually think in such beautiful silence, maybe I won't have too much trouble sticking to my new routine.  But who knows?  Maybe I'll just take a nap instead.



No comments: