Thursday, November 09, 2006

Current Love: OK, I have to admit, I've recently rediscovered an old love. It's tawdry and it's real and the object of my affection is, wait for it... Cheese! Huh? Yes, I am a novice foodie and my current passion is cheese. I have always loved it and I am guessing that I always will. Paired with my other love, wine, it's just the kind of down and dirty love affair that an old married women needs once in a while. Anyway, I found a website that is just amazing. Well, it's really more than that, but I'm not really trying all that hard and can't think of a better word right now. But, you should check out www.artisanalcheese.com if you love cheese too. They have so many kinds of cheese that it could really induce a panic attack if you are a stress case like I am. It's so cool, it even has a pronunciation guide for the really crazy stuff and it gives suggestions as to wine pairings. Pretty cool...

Cayton Temper Tantrum Update: Things seem to be cooling down in this area. She actually fell asleep on Blake's shoulder last night while we were watching Lost. It's nice when the kid decides to cooperate. She really owed it to me though. Her "school" (that is the euphemism that I used to dispel any guilt about leaving her at daycare) sent home an art project. Now, I ask you, what is up with homework for a 1 year old? I mean, seriously, that works out to being a homework project for me. As good a husband/father as Blake is, he is not going to bust out the glue and scissors to work on an art project. Of course, I will because I would feel SO bad if Cayton were the only kid in her room to not have something to show off. So, there I was at 10:30 last night saying some really, really spicy words as I cut and pasted some pictures onto a cardboard cutout of a house. I told Blake that he would die a grisly, grisly death if he forgot to take the frankly brilliant piece of art that I produced to school when he dropped Cayton off. I am not sure he was scared, though he should have been.

Anxiety -o- Meter: Honestly, the last couple of days have been a little bit rough. On Wednesday, I started a continuing education blitz. I have to get about 40 hours before the end of the year and, of course, I have put it off until now. I always get a little bit depressed when I go to CPE because I am forced to confront the fact that my profession bores the pee-diddle out of me. It's just awful. The day to day stuff isn't too bad, but when I'm forced to go listen to a lecture about the vagaries and nuances of a like kind exchange or the ins and outs of recording goodwill and its amortizable life, good god almighty, I'd rather take a beating. So, after a couple of hours of that crap, I start to view my life through accounting colored glasses. It just seems so unrelated to how I see myself. If I were forced to describe myself, I would use words like fun loving, excited about trying new things, humorous. But, I just can't reconcile those things with the idea of being an accountant. ARGHHHHH!!!

Recipe of the Day: So, while I've been writing this, I've been cooking a DE-licious pasta dish. This was my second time to make it, so I think I've worked out the kinks, as it turned out perfectly. It's a whole wheat pasta with gorgonzola, walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes. Basically, you warm up 3 tablespoons of the oil from the tomatoes and sweat 1/2 a cup of the SD tomatoes along with two cloves of garlic cut crosswise for about 10 minutes. Then, you take the tomatoes and garlic out of the oil with a slotted spoon and put a cup of walnuts in the oil and cook until toasted and fragant. This is done on med-high heat and takes about 3-4 minutes. When this is done, toss the pasta that you've already cooked (about .5 pounds of whole wheat spaghetti) in with the walnuts. When the pasta and walnuts are thoroughly warm and mixed, put the all the aforementioned ingredients together and toss along with 4 oz. of the cheese. Pour in about 1/4 cup of the pasta water just to make it creamy. Garnish with some parsley and it's ready to go. I think I got this out of Self magazine, but it could have been shape. Though, I have to question why either of those pubs would include such a delicious, fatty recipe...

OK, so I've gotta go. It's supper club night and I have to get my undoubtedly superior offering over to a friends house. So, later all...

No comments: