Tuesday, November 07, 2006

OK, a few thoughts on working in downtown Tulsa, OK: I have to ask just why, oh why, the ever present landscape people never, ever wash off the sidewalk on the south side of 4th street. I appreciate that they are busy planting pansies and shrubs, but I would ever so much love to see them wash the multitude of layers of bird poop away. I know that it isn't eco-friendly since the poop would likely wash into the Arkansas River, but I don't think sliding on my ass down a concrete, bird poop slip 'n slide is going to further the envirnmental cause either. Along that line, I have an apology to make. I'd been blaming the smell on the homeless people and now I have to say I'm sorry. It was the damn birds!!!

Now, my above apology will have to be withdrawn given that yesterday my husband was propositioned by a homeless person. I think that's pretty rude. I mean, first off, they tend to chase people down the street demanding money and then they step it up and ask for sex acts? What happened to asking for a dollar "to make a phone call"? Geez, at least when they ask for that you can refuse and then have some nice, comforting, WASPy guilt. But, when they ask you to, well you know, then you have to be incensed. That isn't a good feeling for an anxiety ridden, rule following whitey such as myself. I mean, I'd want to kick some ass, but I'd basically just stand there blushing wishing I knew some karate. Then, I'd just run away convinced that my verbal attacker had a gun or something. Street cred' I have not...

So, I plan on voting today, but I have to say that I am really, really put off by the current state of politics in this country. It's tough for me to even choose someone to vote for because I'm not convinced that anyone represents my point of view. I just want the government to stay out of my way but all the pols keep telling me that I need to vote for them so that they can make my life better. Well, Mr./Ms. politician, I don't need your help. I can take care of myself (and that's a good thing too, given Katrina...). I just need you to take office and then pass some legislation that would keep your hand out of my pocket. If that's in your platform, then I'll probably vote for you. Oh, and if you can do something about political ad jingles, I might just sign on to work your campaign. Howard Barnett, B-A-R-N-E-T-T, Howard Barnett. Dammit!!!

Cayton Temper Tantrum Update: We're going on at least 10 straight days of some type of temper tantrum. I think I'm slowly letting go of reality. If it weren't for diaphragmatic breathing and the relaxation tricks I've learned in therapu, I think I would have had a heart attack by this point. Yeah, that's right, I'm in therapy. It's OK, I'm learning to live with crazy. Lest you get the wrong idea though, Catie is still the most wonderful child ever. I don't like the screaming crazies that we deal with at bedtime, but all in all, the pleasure way outweighs the pain. She said "Mommy" last night, I practically floated on a happy cloud right out of the house. It's all good.

News Bulletin: Blake and I are going to Dallas this weekend, alone. What does that even mean?? My parents are keeping the child and we are off for some fun in Big D. It's proof that my therapy is working because I am really geared up for some adult time. Blake and I haven't really gone anywhere by ourselves in a long time and I think we are due. I have pretty much packed the precious two days with as many outings/activities that I can think of. If you have any suggestions, lets me know.

No comments: