Saturday, September 10, 2005

I called my parents twice today just to check up on Daddy's progress. He was great but for some reason I really needed to hear their voices because I needed to know that they were there and doing well. Even though I am thirty years old, I am just now beginning to acknowledge the fact that life is just a chance at time and not a guarantee.

Mama and Daddy have always been for me the example of strength and they are always in my mind immortal. But the fact is that if I'm thirty, then they are older and older means that they are susceptible to health problems. Eventually, I will have to deal with the loss of the only (and this is true) two people on earth that love me unconditionally. Now, that will be far in the future (thinking positively here), but it will be no less of a loss. I wonder what that will do to my approach to life? I will admit that many of my life choices have been made with them in mind. I couldn't really summon the courage to life far away from them.

Basically, I really like my parents. Daddy has this sense of humor that just takes over. He loves to laugh. In fact, he goes out of his way to make people laugh. His actual laugh is even funny. I mean, he doesn't half ass it. When he thinks something is funny, he makes sure that his laugh lets everybody know. Mama is funny too. I am actually wondering if we all just use humor to avoid less pleasant things. Oh well, that is a topic for another post. But, she really is funny. Her best material is when she's talking about Daddy. She will tell you all about Daddy and how he does things just to make her crazy, but you can tell that really she wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, I don't know where this post is really going, but thanks to a couple of glasses of Yellowtail Shiraz-Cab blend, I don't really care. I just wanted to take a minute to pay tribute to Charles and Gwen and reflect on their example of what a marriage should be. Hopefully, I can provide such an example to my daughter. Or maybe I'm just really hammered...

No comments: