Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Planning a vacation is one of my favorite pasttimes. I get to look at places all over the world and pick some place that sounds like fun. I just love it. In the years since my husband and I have been married, we have gone so many places. We've made it a point to take one really huge vacation each year and it's been so much fun.

This year, things are a bit different. Having a new baby girl has thrown a bit of a wrench in our travel plans! She is, of course, the perfect child but even the perfect child would morph into a demon on a transatlantic flight. So, our plans for this year are a bit less ambitious than in years past. Instead of spending an afternoon in a Parisian cafe or an Italian piazza, we are just hoping to maybe make it to Denver! Ah the changes...

It's funny to to think about those changes. I think I am (was) a poster child for the typical person from my generation. I was completely devoted to living for myself, traveling etc (which is fine, by the way). I was determined to put off the whole "responsible adult" thing as long as possible and I was good at it. We had a great group of friends and we spent almost every weekend with them. So many stories...

Anyway, something strange began to happen as we all approached the horror that is 30. Many of our friends moved out of town. Others began to settle down. I guess it was time to move on. Plus, and I never thought this would happen to me, the ol' biological clock put the smackdown on me and I never had a chance. The thing practically kicked me in the head. I hadn't expected the urge to reproduce to be so irresistible. I mean, do you ever expect to have a visceral reaction to a terry cloth onesie with bunny rabbits on it???

Anyway, to get back on point, my baby has revealed to me so much about how being a "responsible adult" can be absolutely fabulous. Even though my life has changed drastically, I'm more than OK with it. That, of course is the biggest surprise. I'm capable of thinking of someone else first. Weird!

No comments: